Bringing the Farmhouse ambiance into 2019
Whether you call it Modern Farmhouse, Modern Country, or even Modern Rustic, the words immediately bring to mind warmth and comfort, family and food. There are elements of the farmhouse style that can be easily adapted to almost any design style. (Thank you Joanna Gaines!)
“It’s a desire that’s resonating in kitchens across America where, after years of cold stainless steel and brushed nickel, the simple warmth and comfort of the farmhouse style is coming barreling back into favor.” –www.dailyherald.com
Start with clean and simple cabinetry (think classic, like ‘white painted Shaker’). Then add a light, sleek countertop. As a kitchen designer, my job is to create a classic and neutral backdrop so my client can add fun and creative pieces that reflect her style.
Here are some of the elements that we most often use to achieve that Modern Farmhouse vibe:
- Reclaimed Wood Use as: an island accent, beams on the ceiling, hood, shelving, accent pieces
- Farm or Apron Front sink Either in classic white or stainless steel, this sink is a farmhouse hallmark
- Barnboard/Shiplap details As an accent wall, the back of an island, or even a backsplash
- Open Shelving A great opportunity to use a rustic or reclaimed material!
- Barn Doors So many door and hardware possibilities
- Vintage Inspired Plumbing Fixtures Think 2 handle Bridge faucet
- Antique or Rustic Light Fixtures A perfect opportunity to create a focal point with a new texture or metal
- Vintage Style bar stools In wood, metal, even vintage industrial “shop stools”
- Wrought iron accents Think reclaimed or repurposed, rustic and distressed
- Wide plank floors A true farmhouse classic
- image: Holly Mathis Interiors
Farmhouse style is about bringing kitchens back to the heart of the home, creating a warm and inviting space. And having fun shopping for those upcycled and vintage accessories!